Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Parenting Test #1023

I wish that parenting came with a handbook. It is such a tricky thing, raising kids. Not just raising them, but raising them in a way that they do not grow up to quickly in this complicated world.

Matt and I grew up in two very different households, with two very different sets of rules. The things I was exposed to as a child would make your eyebrows raise. Where as far as I can tell Matt's childhood was relatively quiet and normal with a bit of strictness. With these two very different upbringings, it is now our time to raise two children to be decent, responsible, caring people. It makes me wonder if at times we are overly strict or not strict enough. It's about finding that balance. I want my children to be innocent but not naive.

We had a parenting test #1023 this evening, when Chloe was invited to go a haunted house with a friend and her family. Of course we had reservations like it's a school night, is Chloe too young to be going to scary things like haunted houses. But we came up with some stipulations. She had to have all homework, her 1/2 hour of piano, 1/2 hour of violin all completed before going and also had to be home by 8:30 PM. The whole time she was gone all I could worry about is that maybe we should be stricter and not let her have a social life?? Chloe did not get home until 9:15 by the way, but she was the first to speak up and say that this was probably not the best activity to do on a school night. I think that right there says we are on the right track. Giving her enough freedom, yet still having the rules and guidelines to keep her our little girl for as long as we possibly can. I know this is not the last test in our parenting course and I'm still waiting on that handbook to arrive in the mail!

No comments: