Friday, October 10, 2008

Politics in School

Today, Chloe came home from school and asked, "Is it true that Obama doesn't salute the flag or sing the national anthem?" My reply was, "Of course that's not true! Who would tell you such things?" Come to find out it was her history teacher, Mr. Summers. Apparently, a kid in the class asked whom he was voting for and he said he would never vote for someone who didn't respect America enough to salute the flag or sing the national anthem, so his choice is clearly McCain. I, again, assured Chloe that Obama loves and respects America. And if he did such a thing as not saluting the flag, there surely had to be a good reason, but I firmly believe that your teacher is misinformed.

Fast forward to this evening - Chloe is at a friend's house and I thought I'd take a moment to research this. Mostly because if it was all lies I was ready to send an email to Mr. Summers asking him to keep his facts straight. This is what I found. Unfortunately, it is true. The moment was in September 2007. I was hoping there was a valid reason for Obama not to be saluting or that maybe the camera just didn't catch him doing so and the opposing team was taking advantage, but none of this is the case. However, it is not completely true. Obama does respect America and there is evidence of him showing his allegiance in many other moments, like this one.



Though there was one moment of Obama not saluting the flag, there are all the other times that he does.I don't think that one instance is damaging enough to keep Obama from being our next President. As Chloe pointed out in her class debate, at least Obama didn't give out war secrets while being held by our enemies! (Way to go our little Democrat!) Of course she only got three cheers out of that statement because her class and school is dominated by McCain lovers (but what do you expect in Utah, right?!)

The sad news is that now when she gets home later tonight I have to break the news that her teacher was SOMEWHAT correct. It will be interesting to see if this changes her from Obama to McCain!

Here's the email I sent to the teacher.

Mr. Summers,

My daughter came home from school today and informed me that you had told the class that the reason you would not vote for Obama was because he would not salute the flag or say the pledge of allegiance. I just want you to know that this is not true. Although there is the instance in September 2007 where such a thing happened, many other times Obama has shown his respect for our country. I do not care whom you vote for, it is none of my business. I just want you, a teacher, to give my daughter correct information – and not spread untruths. As far as I am concerned you should not be a “voter” in class, you should be facilitating discussions between the children.

There are many places online where you can see Obama giving the pledge and saluting the flag. Here is a link to one such video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fx16ZxFB4w

Chloe did enjoy class today and we enjoy her coming home with questions that inspire family research and discussions.


Hopefully this doesn't impact her grade!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only question... What would Oprah do?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the teacher was saying something against McCain or Palin, how would you react? Would you still be upset?